San Miguel Church

The Church of San Miguel is a Gothic temple from the first half of the 15th century. It is composed of a single nave of three sections with lateral chapels between the buttresses and built in ashlar masonry. In 1936 a fire destroyed the original roof, which was rebuilt with half-barrel vaults. The bell tower was rebuilt in the image of the previous baroque one in 2007. Its exterior appearance is monumental, standing out for its volume and elevated position over the roofs of the town.

From the outside, its façade stands out, composed by a sober decoration of Levantine Gothic style among which we find representations of dragons, lions and mermaids, in clear reference to the taste of the time to recover the iconography of Romanesque art. As in the case of other Gothic façades, on the façade of the Castellote façade there is also a rose window of considerable proportions.

TURISMO MAESTRAZGO logotipo

Comarca del Maestrazgo • C/ Las Tres Baylias • 44140 Cantavieja (Teruel)
Phone: 964 185 242 turismo@comarcamaestrazgo.org