Allepuz, a town of 143 inhabitants, located in the southwest of the region, is perched on a hillside at an altitude of 1474 meters. Most of the municipality is crossed by the Sollavientos river, a tributary of the Turia. The profile of the valley created by this river is limited to the east by a long strip of cinglos, with the Morrón (1889m), the Zaragozana (1911m) and the Nave (1975m) standing out. The name of the town refers to this topography, as Allepuz means “shell” in Arabic. This is undoubtedly a nod to the natural protection enjoyed by this municipality.
As in the rest of the region, Allepuz has excellent monumental mansions from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The Casa Grande stands out above all the rest, crowned with a porch with semicircular arches and is currently part of the Hospederías de Aragón Network. It is also worth mentioning the Loreto Chapel (1692), located at the entrance of the village, and the church of the Purification (1771). Other interesting elements are the vaulted fountain and the town hall, which follows the pattern of the Aragonese council houses of the Modern Age.
The jewels of Allepuz
In the municipality there are two jewels of great interest for the visitor. The first, the hermitage of Santa Isabel de Sollavientos, a remote reminder of a medieval depopulated area. The second is the Camino de los Pilones, which connects this town with Villarroya de los Pinares, where a series of milestones, located along the road at regular distances of between 30 and 50 meters, allow a visual relationship between them in order not to get lost in the blizzard, snow and fog in a terrain with hardly any tree vegetation.