Home / Pueblo / Cañart Caves

Cañart Caves

Nestled in a natural setting of singular beauty, the urban center of Las Cuevas de Cañart, a minor local entity linked to the municipality of Castellote, can be considered one of the most attractive architectural ensembles in the entire province. The place appears documented for the first time in 1187 in which Arnalt de las Cuevas is mentioned. It was called Cuevas between 1495 and 1609, appearing later as Cuevas de Cañart, from about 1646. It belonged to the Temple and the Hospital in Castellote.

Among the most outstanding buildings in the town center is the church of San Pedro Apóstol. Of baroque construction from the second half of the 18th century, it has the typical features of the temples of the so-called “Pilarist stele”. This means that it houses the town hall, with a commodities exchange with two lowered arches; several large houses, including the Arellano House and the Moliner House, with its Aragonese gallery, which is a rural house.

The municipality preserves the remains of two convents, the Convent of the Immaculate Conception and the Convent of the Servite monks. The first has a 17th century baroque church and the second is located on the outskirts of the town, whose monumental church remains in a state of ruin. Its main elements are currently being consolidated and an annexed interpretation center is being finalized to access its interior and climb the belfry.

In addition, the hermitage of San Blas, from the late seventeenth century, stands out in the town. This building houses the Cave Heritage Interpretation Center. We also find the hermitage of Los Poyos and the remains of the Castle; the Pilar Chapel, conceived as a large niche, the Portal de Marzo, the only remaining part of the walled enclosure, the old oven; and the arches and passages of the Main Street and the “Jewish quarter”. Outside the town, the fountain and washing place on the way to the Servite convent stand out.

It is a must to visit the refrigerator, the medieval tombs, the stream of San Juan and the hermitage of San Juan, all on the same road.

TURISMO MAESTRAZGO logotipo

Comarca del Maestrazgo • C/ Las Tres Baylias • 44140 Cantavieja (Teruel)
Phone: 964 185 242 turismo@comarcamaestrazgo.org