The church dedicated to the archangel St. Michael is located next to the wall and the old hospital of Cantavieja. It belongs to the characteristic typology of the Levantine Gothic. It is a church with a single nave covered with a pointed barrel vault and a polygonal chancel covered with a ribbed vault, whose ribs rest on corbels with angels’ heads.
San Miguel de Cantavieja was built in 1411, as an oratory promoted by Gonzalo de Funes. At the head of the oratory is his tomb decorated with alabaster plates representing the mass for the dead and the heraldry of his family combined with the cross of St. John. Gonzalo de Funes was from 1392 commander of Aliaga and Cantavieja, becoming in 1417 the castellan of Amposta.
In 1409, on the initiative of Gonzalo de Funes, the hermitage of San Juan del Barranco was also built in Cantavieja.